The #BraceFace Tag!😁

by - June 28, 2017


 no pain, no gain. 
Welcome to my blog! I am not really sure if you know this but I had braces once. That was a great experience and so painful sometimes. I had them for almost a year and a half (20 months to be precise). They said I had a severe overbite and that my upper jaw teeth were rubbing over my lower jaw teeth. I actually got them done for medical purpose and a perfect smile was a side reward. 😁 I have actually talked about my whole experience and where I got them done in another post. Click here to check that out. 
I saved this in my drafts months ago and then I completely forgot 'bout it. But finally, I am writing this. I explained everything I knew about braces in my previous post but this time I am answering specific questions so if you are someone who'd be getting braces soon or is planning to have them, this post will help you too much. 
Let's brace us!
1.When did you get your braces on?
I got my braces on !9th of April 2015 (yes I rmr the date).

2. How soon after you got them could you feel pressure or aching?
That was like an hour long process (maybe more). The moment I got up from the dental bed it felt really uncomfy in my mouth but I started feeling the actual pressure after 4-6 hrs.

3. On a scale from 1-10 (10 being the worst) how bad was the pain for you?
It used to hurt after my every visit to the clinic and the pain used to last for like 5 days.  On a scale from 1-10, I'd rate the worst pain as 8 and that's when I got my powerchain and I wasn't able to eat even soft fruits.

4. What kinds of food did you eat when you first got your braces?
I did this on the first day, and I used to do this on my every appointment. Have a heavy mean before doing to the orthodontist (please don't end up overeating and vomiting in the hospital; just a nice full tummy meal) and then rely on fruits and rice. On the day 01 of my braces, I ate watermelon in my dinner. 😂 and i watched TFIOS; hence maintaining balance in the world. 

5. How often did you get adjustments?
I used to see my dentist every month. So that's the only time I used to get my adjustments done or whatever. But if I would be having any trouble b/w the appointments, I used to call them and book an appointment and visit the place. Most of the time, it used to be a different doctor for fixing minor muddles. 

6. Do you wear rubber bands? Comment about them.
I used to wear rubber bands and I wore them for kinda long time; maybe 6-8 months (i don't rmr clearly; am sorry). They had only transparent rubbers (sighs) so I couldn't play w the colors. The day my doctor taught me how to put rubber bands on, I felt like I learned some rocket science or what and every time when I used to put them on, it felt like I was doing some hella important job in NASA.😂
It's so difficult to talk w rubber bands in your mouth at first, but don't worry, you'll master the art of widening your mouth to a reflex angle of 270° w rubber bands on.

7. How many times a day do you brush with your braces? Do you have any tips to prevent the "little white squares" on your teeth?
Well, I was supposed and told to brush my teeth at least twice a day. They said it's fine if you'll skip brushing your teeth after every time you eat. But definitely, I used to clean my mouth well. After every meal, I used to gargle w water first, then I used to clean them w proxa brush and then I used to gargle w a mouthwash. Of course, I skipped all this at school but every time when I was at home, I used to do this.
The most important tool for preventing those "lil white squares" is the proxa brush. You just need to keep it w you wherever you go. It's great for emergencies, you'd accidentally got some food stuck in b/w your braces and your out in an event or something. But that's not the only thing, it's a MUST HAVE TOOL in you have braces. It expels the food particles that get stuck in the brackets or anywhere in the metal. You can find it in any medical store or at a pharmacist's' place.

8. How often did you get your braces tightened?
I used to see my dentist every month, so that was when I used to get my braces tightened. It used to hurt for like the next 5 days and I used to feed myself on rice and fruits.


9. Do you get to pick your colors??
Yes, and I have tried every color that my dentist had. My dentist used to put tiny rubbers 'round the brackets (i'll assume it's to keep everything secured and tight). The first day, I got purple rubbers and he put them on w/o asking me but matching the color of my clothes😂

10. How long do you have your braces for?
I had them for 20 months, so be precise.

11. Did you need jaw surgery?
Not really. I didn't even get any teeth removed. I was 15 when I got braces. I am not really sure 'bout the age, but it's like until the age of 15 or 16, your jaw can easily make adjustments. So most people of that age group don't need surgery and thankfully, I wasn't an exception.


12. What kind of toothbrush do you use with your braces?
I used a normal toothbrush. I asked my orthodontist if I really needed to change but he said it was fine and the main thing is cleaning properly and I was doing that. So I didn't switch. But if you are having some problem in cleaning or your dentist says that you should change, then go ahead and switch your toothbrush.

13. Do you use wax?
Of course! I used wax from the first day I got my braces. Sometimes it used to hurt my inner mouth really bad and sometimes I even used to get some bruise. So wax was a must have for me. I don't really know if you have to buy them from the store, but my dentist used to provide them at no cost and as many as I need. I still have it with me. It's red, like flesh and I have no plans of throwing it away 'cuz memories (yes I am that kinda crazy).

14. How long did getting your braces on took?
It took two hours, I guess. I don't really rmr (sorry).

15. Do you ever get that metal taste in your mouth??
Umm not really. Even my blood tastes more metal-ly than braces.

16. What color bands do you get?? :)
I am assuming that color band here means the tiny bands over brackets. Lemme see, purple, grey, blue (that turned algae green, red, pink and maybe more. No matter what color I'd be getting, they would get that yellow touch after staying for 2 weeks in my mouth. Because, dude, we are Indians. We put turmeric in a lot of dishes that we eat in a day. So, that was inevitable!😂

Thank you for reading. I hope this post will help you. Ask if you have any ques. in the comments below or any suggestions?
Now you can reach me through contact form! Please do. I love reading lovely messages by you all♥

Meet you in the next post!













You May Also Like

0 comments

Leave some post suggestions, maybe?

Search This Blog